SEND A MESSAGE TO WELCOME WA'S NEW PREMIER ROGER COOK!
WA's new Premier Roger Cook will decide the fate of the Martuwarra Fitzroy River and whether the river will be protected or opened up to damaging large-scale development.
As the new leader of our state, it's crucial we let Premier Cook know how important the Martuwarra is to all Western Australians and why the river must be protected for the future.
Why you should contact the new Premier about protecting the Martuwarra:
- Proposals to pump huge amounts of water from the Martuwarra and its floodplains threaten to destroy this healthy, free-flowing river and create a Murray-Darling disaster.
- The river supports the livelihoods of local communities, culture, tourism, fishing, and rare wildlife such as the critically endangered freshwater sawfish - all of which would be significantly impacted by large-scale irrigation development.
- There is opportunity to build a vibrant and modern economy in the Fitzroy Valley without taking water from the Martuwarra.
- Traditional Owners of the Martuwarra Fitzroy River have existing plans and goals for sustainable development and jobs which should be implemented alongside protection of the river.
- There is overwhelming community support for protection of the Martuwarra Fitzroy River, with over 26,000 petition signatures and 43,000 submissions calling for the WA Government to protect the river.
- As WA's new Premier, Roger Cook can create an extraordinary legacy by protecting the Martuwarra Fitzroy River.