Protect the Martuwarra
Urge your local Member of Parliament to protect the Martuwarra Fitzroy River - the lifeblood of the Kimberley!
The WA Government will soon make big decisions about the Martuwarra Fitzroy River and whether to protect the river or take large volumes of water for irrigated agriculture.
Before decisions are made on the future of the Fitzroy, it's crucial your local Member of Parliament knows how important the River is to you and your local community.
WHY YOU SHOULD TAKE ACTION AND MESSAGE YOUR LOCAL MP!
- There is massive public support for the protection of the Fitzroy River, with over 43,000 submissions being sent to the Government calling for protection.
- Plans to pump huge volumes of water from the Fitzroy River and its floodplains could destroy this healthy, wild river.
- The Fitzroy River supports the livelihoods of local people, culture, tourism, fishing, and rare wildlife such as the critically endangered freshwater sawfish — all of which would be affected by large-scale irrigation.
- Traditional Owners along the Fitzroy River do not support plans to take water for irrigation.
- The Fitzroy River is Western Australia's longest Aboriginal Heritage Site and is National Heritage-listed for its outstanding cultural values.
Image: Gary Annett Photography