SKIPA is excited to host once again special guest, Eucalypt Australia 2022 Fellow Samorn Sanixay, who will introduce you to the traditional methods of natural dyeing and printing used by weavers and textile artisans of Laos in a hands-on workshop.
In this workshop you will:
• learn about local Australian eucalypts, native plants, berries and flowers and their dyeing properties
• explore a variety of natural hand dyeing and colour applications
• create your own fabulous colours on natural fabrics using natural methods and materials
• learn how to keep and store dyes for use out of season and best dyes for the different natural fibres
• learn traditional techniques used to set dyes.
Day 1: each technique is covered.
Day 2: the techniques are repeated using different materials. Participants have free time to practice with the assistance and further demonstration of Samorn, receiving one-on-one instruction to become more confident.
No previous design or printing experience required.
$280 for one day (includes all materials, morning tea and lunch)
$450 for Saturday and Sunday (includes all materials and morning tea and lunch)
Please contact us if you have dietary requirements.
Purchase your tickets here. This is a limited-capacity event for a small number of participants.
This event is supported by the Society for Kimberley Indigenous Plants and Animals (SKIPA), Environs Kimberley, Lotteries House and Eucalypt Australia.
20 Cable Beach Rd
Broome, WA 6725
Google map and directions